If you’ve never used a charcoal chimney starter before, you may be wondering how they work and why you would need one. This article will give you a quick introduction to using a charcoal chimney starter, so that you can get started grilling your food more quickly and easily!
What is a Chimney Starter and how does it work?
A chimney starter is a metal cylinder with a handle and a grate on the bottom. The cylinder is placed over the coals and the wood is placed on the grate. The wood catches fire and the flames travel up the cylinder, igniting the coals. The chimney starter allows you to light a fire without using lighter fluid or other chemicals.
How to use a charcoal chimney starter
A charcoal chimney starter is a great way to get your charcoal going for your grill or smoker. Here’s how to use one:
1. Using a chimney starter when cooking low and slow
A chimney starter is a great way to get your charcoal lit quickly and evenly. It’s especially useful when cooking low and slow, as you want to make sure your coals are nice and hot before you start cooking.
Here’s how to use a chimney starter:
- Fill the chimney starter with charcoal. You can use briquettes or lump charcoal
- Place the chimney starter on the ground or on a heat-resistant surface
- Place a piece of newspaper or another combustible material in the bottom of the chimney starter
- Light the newspaper and allow the charcoal to catch fire
- Once the charcoal is fully lit, dump it into your grill or smoker and start cooking!
2. Using a chimney starter for grilling or smoking hot
A chimney starter is a great way to get your grill or smoker going when cooking low and slow. It is a simple tool that can be used to light charcoal without the use of lighter fluid.
To use a chimney starter, simply place it on the ground or on a stable surface. Fill the chamber with charcoal. Place some newspaper or kindling under the grate. Light the newspaper or kindling and allow the charcoal to catch fire.
Once the charcoal is lit, you can add more pieces to the grill or smoker. Be sure to add them slowly so that the temperature does not rise too quickly.
Chimney starters are a great way to get your grill or smoker going without the use of lighter fluid. They are simple to use and can help you to control the temperature of your grill or smoker.